Monday, June 06, 2005

Well, this first weekend of June started out the June party season in grand style-and left me ... tired and happy.

Saturday began with the Bat Mitzvah celebration of Olivia Weiner on the lawn of her home in Yardley. The afternoon event was held in the open air while I drew caricatures of the Bat Mitzvah kids from my location under the spacious and airy kids tent.

As usual, once the kids spied me in the corner, I worked non-stop. At least until Mrs. Weiner graciously insisted that I take a short break and have something to eat before caterers cleaned up the food.

The weather that afternoon, typical of June, perfect, with temperatures in the low 70's, is the reason that many people can't resist holding their events outdoors.

Next stop was World Fusion, a club down in Old City. This event was arranged by Glamour magazine who partnered with Revlon on a nation-wide product promotional tour to roll out and promote Fabulash mascara.

It is unusual to work at an event that begins at 10 pm (and goes on until 2 in the morning). But it's been many years since I've been part of the club scene.

Glamour/Revlon had rented a private room in the back of the club where they set up a computerized camera that furnished you with a digitized make-over. It took your picture, analyzed your skin and hair colors, and printed out a photo showing you before and after applying their recommendations.

What was I doing there? I had my own computer, too. I was performing Astrology Mini-readings. The computer did the mathematical heavy lifting, calculating the natal charts of willing volunteers who had supplied their birth data. My job was to interpret their charts.

The idea was to add a bit of fun (and glamour?) to the evening.

Being as out of it as I am, now that my early twenties have long faded into the past, I was amazed to see Chestnut Street filled with crowds of people at the 2 am closing time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home